Wednesday, July 10, 2013

Warm salads and fabulous treats











Cabbage parsley slaw
 +
miso seasoned tempeh
+
ginger brown rice noodles
+
 kabocha squash
 +
lemon tahini dressing






















 Cumin massaged kale with avocado and hemp
+
tamari tricolor quinoa
+
kabocha squash
+
homemade kraut
+
avocado and cilantro










This is what my lunches have looked like lately. My friend Marianne calls them "warm salads." Basically they are a blend of raw and cooked foods in a single bowl and they are so good. My body is loving the balance of textures, colors, and flavors and the infinite possibilities for variations. I start out with leafy greens, add some steamed root veggies, maybe some whole grains, rice noodles or cooked beans, lots of fresh herbs, and I top it off with a magnificent dressing or something simple like avocado and tamari.

Do you want recipes? Or are the photos inspiration enough? Lemme know will ya?
Speaking of inspiration, check out the gorgeous salads over at salad pride



And I also made...


Dark Chocolate Almond Butter Cups
with maple and mesquite



They are vegan, organic, gluten-free, healthfully sweetened, and absolutely decadent. I made raw sprouted** almond butter for the filling which also features raw mesquite powder.
  
Mesquite is a traditional food among native South and North American peoples that serves as a low sugar sweetener with the added benefits of nearly all essential amino acids, calcium, magnesium, potassium, iron and zinc. It balances blood sugar because it does not require insulin to digest or metabolize, and its dietary fiber slows the absorption of other sugars into the bloodstream (Navitas Naturals).
The mesquite I used was gifted to me by a sweet stranger who made my day with this little token of abundance. Its smokey caramel flavor tastes amazing paired with the almonds, maple syrup, and raw chocolate!

I want to share these gorgeous treats with y'all! I have a vision of having my delicious healthy foods for sale in some super cute shops around town, and catered for parties and events. I'd like to start out small and informal since so far I'm using a home (not a commercial) kitchen and don't have all the required certifications. So I'm calling in opportunities and advice!




 **Lastly, do you know about soaking your nuts, seeds and grains? Its a simple way to hugely increase their available nutrients and the body's ability to utilize them.






Learn more about soaking and sprouting here and here.










1 comment:

  1. remarkable. You are making me very hungry for summer veggies.

    ReplyDelete