Sunday, July 7, 2013

A fabulous salad



Arugula, radicchio, romaine + coconut quinoa + pan cooked sweet potato + castelvetrano olives + flat leaf parsley + avocado spirulina dressing

Whew! That's a mouthful. And so was this salad. The basic idea came from this magic flavor equation:
 sweet potato + arugula + avocado = soo delicious
There is something spectacular about the sweetness, bitter crunch and creamy finish of this combination. A more basic version that I love is to roast a whole sweet potato, place it while its still hot out of the oven over a bed of arugula, and top with slices of ripe avocado and a bit of salt and pepper. Yum!








For a summer version (when it doesn't make as much sense to heat up house by turning on the oven) I opted to lightly steam the potatoes and then brown them in a skillet with a bit of coconut oil.





I cooked some quinoa, adding unsweetened coconut flakes in the last couple minutes of steaming. And it's all assembly from there: greens, then sweet potatoes and quinoa, topped with sliced olives and parsley. 



For the dressing I mashed an avocado with about a teaspoon of spirulina, a pinch of turmeric, salt, black pepper, and enough water to reach desired consistency. Simple and fabulous.




2 comments:

  1. I looked up Beets Café. Are you learning some things from their menu? The pictures you post are so scrumptious looking!
    Liz

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The owner likes to keep her recipes under wraps. But I've got more recipes to inspire me than I know what to do with!

      Delete