Tuesday, July 23, 2013

Peach chia porridge





I've been making this chia-oat porridge lately in place of the cooked oat porridge I enjoy when the weather is cooler. It is easy to make and tastes fabulous! 

Chia seeds are an amazing food to include regularly in your diet. These wondrous seeds originated in South America have been a staple in native american diets for centuries. They are one of the richest plant-based sources of omega-3 fatty acids which reduce inflammation in the body, improve brain function, and reduce high cholesterol. They are a great source of fiber, helping to regulate the bowels and promote good digestion. Chia is rich in antioxidants that protect the body from free radicals and carcinogens, and contains minerals including calcium, phosphorus, magnesium, and manganese. Chia's combination of protein and fiber, and their gelling action gives a long lasting feeling of satiety, reducing food cravings between meals.

Basic chia porridge recipe

  • 3/8 cup oats (or just a little less than 1/2 a cup)
  • 3 Tb. chia seeds
  • 1 cup almond milk (more on how to make your own in a future post) 
Place oats and chia in a bowl and stir in the almond milk. In just minutes the chia will have soaked up much of the liquid! Let sit for a minimum of 30 minutes or overnight to fully hydrate. I like to set mine out the night before so it's all set when I'm hungry for breakfast.
 
From there, the possibilities for toppings and flavors are endless! Sweeten to taste with fresh and dried fruits and/or a nourishing sweetener like maple syrup, honey, coconut palm sugar, or stevia. Add a little something for texture and your favorite spices.

For this bowl I used:

  • 1 ripe peach, sliced
  • 1 Tb. dried goji berries
  • pinch cardamom powder
  • a sprinkling of hemp seeds
  • a couple drops of liquid stevia
  • Teensy bit of sea salt


This porridge makes a fabulous to-go breakfast too! Here's a snapshot of my post-yoga/pre-work breakfast this morning



In this bowl I added
  • dried figs
  • dried coconut
  • 1 ts. Maple syrup
  • Sea salt
  • Pinch of cinnamon
  • and a fresh red plum


Other flavor ideas: 

Banana + sprouted almonds + cinnamon

Coconut butter + fresh fig + vanilla bean

Dates + hempseed+ lemon zest

Dried apricot + orange zest/fruit + grated nutmeg

Fresh mango + cashews + goji berries

Cherries + Cacao nibs + cardamom


2 comments:

  1. Your posts are incredible. I want to come and live with you!! Think we could manage that? I don't take up too much space. My mouth is watering and I am wishing I had a better kitchen space. Hopefully by the end of the year I will have a new kitchen.
    Love to you my dear,
    Liz

    ReplyDelete
  2. The great thing about this recipe is it is so simple that it really doesn't require a snazzy kitchen. This is the kind of thing I make when I'm traveling because it is quick, easy, and makes almost zero mess (not to mention it's delicious and so good for you!) You can mix it up in the same bowl or tupperware that you're going to eat it in.

    ReplyDelete