Friday, December 13, 2013

Kabocha carrot ginger purée with maple walnut granola & hempseeds


I am lucky to have the day off and got to eat my breakfast at home today! Thought I was going to make a smoothie bowl this morning but it is just too chilly. Instead I made what I suppose it is a sort of winter "smoothie." It took just minutes to make and tasted so nourishing and warming on a December morning.

Measurements aren't so important when making something as simple as this. Just go with your intuition, taste along the way, and adjust accordingly.

To make the puree, chop two carrots and a nice chunk of kabocha squash. Place in a small sauce pan with a bit of water and several slices of fresh ginger. Steam until soft. Transfer the cooked veggies and ginger to a blender or food processor. Add a nub of coconut butter or coconut oil, a pinch of each of your favorite warming spices (I used cinnamon, turmeric, nutmeg, and a bit of Healthforce Nutritionals Vitamineral Earth), a bit of sea salt, and enough nut milk (I used homemade almond milk) to blend into a smooth yet thick puree. Top with your favorite granola, a sprinkle of hemp seeds, and garnish with a few carrot ribbons (make them with a carrot peeler).





No comments:

Post a Comment