Friday, September 27, 2013

blueberries + basil



Yep! We've still got lotsa basil. While my friends in the Northwest are harvesting a beautiful bounty of heirloom apples and pears I'm still plucking the emerald leaves of this magical sun-loving herb.

I wrote about the amazing attributes of basil here just a short while back. Now I want to share a recipe featuring a flavor combination that is a recent favorite amongst food bloggers. Maybe you already know that blueberries + basil are a perfect pair. In this smoothie I added a bit of fresh rosemary for some added flair. Home made almond milk and a sprinkling of hemp seeds round out this treat into a delectably creamy and protein rich breakfast, afternoon snack, or even a dessert.





Blueberry + Basil & Rosemary Smoothie

  • 1 frozen banana
  • 1 cup frozen blueberries
  • 1/4 to 1/2 cup almond milk (see previous post to make your own!)
  • 2 Tb. hemp seeds
  • handful of fresh basil leaves
  • sprig of rosemary, stem removed
  • 1ts. to 1 Tb. green powder (I used vitamineral green)

Toss all ingredients in a food processor or blender reserving 1 tablespoon hemp seed and a few herbs for garnish. Pulse until smooth and creamy. I like to make it in the cuisinart using as little liquid as possible for thick spoonable smoothie bowl. Add more almond milk or water for a drinkable smoothie.






Basil Babes! I just started these little ones from seed as part of my fall garden. I'm hopin they'll have a chance to get nice and big before it gets too cold around here. Their tiny little leaves are too cute!



No comments:

Post a Comment